Monday, June 22, 2015

Writing s.l.u.m.p.s. and b.u.m.p.s. & Chicken Soup


Back in January....I stumbled upon an ad for Chicken Soup for the Soul, looking for inspiring stories from volunteers.  Immediately a Chester-story came to mind. Without thinking about it too long ... I did some re-writing and editing ---  pressed SEND. Told no-one. (I did tell Keith about two weeks after the fact, mumbling, while doing the dishes or something....)

And then I forgot about it.  A month ago, I received an email. THEY liked the Chester Tail.  Really? Today I received an email saying congratulations! No way I said.  Yes way they said.  We are dog-gone excited!!!!  Our Therapy Dog Tail will be published in Chicken Soup for the Soul, Volunteering & Giving Back, available in bookstores August 18, 2015!




I must say....we are dog-gone excited. (I think I already said that)  We are!

As I type this....I realize (oye), I've not written a Chester Tail in over a year. That's a long time. Sometimes writing s.l.u.m.p.s. and  b.u.m.p.s. can be long and ....well, long.  The longer the slump, the bumpier the bumps. Though my writing has been s.t.u.c.k. ~~ our stories have continued, and Chester continues to be Chester, touching lives and warming hearts.  Chicken Soup has been good for my soul to help  me get  unslumped.

Reminding me the importance of telling our stories~
If  I don't want to forget the stories and the people, who have touched my heart so deeply ...well, I had best pick up my keyboard and write.  Just write -- not worry so much about dotting my i's and crossing my t's -- or if you will think it is a great tail or not ---  just get back to the beginning and the basics of enjoying our pet-therapy journey and talking story with friends.

So....here we go....





No comments:

Post a Comment