Friday, July 20, 2012

Talent Show

"You've got a friend in me..... You've got a friend in me...."
Chester does a lot of firsts with Melissa. And yesterday was his FIRST TALENT SHOW.  Schreiber Pediatric was hosting their annual summer camp for kids, and Thursday was talent show day. 

I have to say .... and I am not biased in the least ..... Melissa and Chester were the stars of the show.  Paws down.   I mean, really, they were.

The gymnasium was PACKED with kids and adults.  The noise and activity were off the charts when we strolled in. Chester was attacked by countless arms, hands, fingers, wanting to touch him. When we found Melissa --- he literally climbed up into the safety of her lap, slimed her face with kisses and said, "My Melissa My Melissa My Melissa....HELP!"  That was the beginning.

Chester and I waited in the hallway and out on the grass (having last minute potty breaks before the big show) talking with Melissa's very cool little brother, Robert, about his favorite subject.....trains.

When Melissa's name was called we hurried in to take our place next to Melissa.

Peg wheeled Melissa in.  
Peg is SuperMom ---she is SuperMom.
I think she should wear a red cape with SM on it.

Peg cued the music.
 "You've got a friend in me.... You've got a friend in me...."

Chester took his spot, sitting  next to Melissa's wheel chair.

She patted her lap, "Up Chester!"

He bounced UP, paws on her lap, kisses on her face.

The crowd CHEERED.

"SIT Chester!"  She gave the hand signal for sit.  

He sat.

Melissa gave him a treat from her treat pouch :-). 

MORE CHEERS

"DOWN Chester!" Melissa pointed to the ground with authority!

Down he went, like a champ.

THE CROWD ROARED.
 
Next SuperMom brought out the GIANT BLUE RUBBER PEANUT that Melissa uses for her floor exercises.  SM helped Melissa into her position. Melissa now looked like a very CUTE  human bridge,
 for Chester to go under and over.

I commanded --- "UNDER!" 
Chester looked at me.....  He went around.  :-) 
ha ha, funny boy.

Try again.  I handed Robert a treat.  He knelt on one side of Melissa holding the tempting yummy treat.  I was on the other side with silly Chester.

"Chester UNDER!"  He army crawled under. 

The CROWD WENT WILD.

Next.... "OVER CHESTER!"

Over he bounded ~~ he soared and smiled at the crowd.  This was ridiculously FUN.

He had so much FUN he did it twice.
(Melissa was relieved he did not flatten her like a pancake -- see cub scout post)

More APPLAUSE.

Next talent....Melissa sat in her wheel chair and threw the ball for Chester.  And he retrieved.  You may not think this is a HUGE talent for a Golden Retriever ( I mean it's in the name, & the genes, for heaven's sake).  However,  Melissa is the one that taught Chester to retrieve. She did.  The only person he consistently retrieves for (as in brings the ball BACK) is Melissa.

My favorite part comes next. 

 The GRAND FINALE.
 (drum roll please)
Melissa stands up from her wheel chair.
 
LOOK MA, NO HANDS! NO SUPPORT!
 (SM is behind Melissa, just in case laughter erupts and we all lose our balance --- it happens :-) )
 Melissa balances by herself, no crutches, no walker,
 and  throws the ball for Chester. 

WOW.   AMAZING.  DAZZLING.

clap clap clap clap clap

Chester trots back to Melissa's side,
she treats him from her treat pouch that is strapped around her waste.
"Good Boy!" she says to him.

 Smiles are HUGE.

We all stand in front of the crowd.  Robert...SuperMom...Melissa...Chester....Me

TaDa!
Melissa and Chester take a bow together.
(I think Robert did too  ...  Little brothers like to do things like that :-)
Three Times they take a bow.

APPLAUSE

While the crowd is still roaring Chester and Melissa exit the room side by side...

"You've got a friend in me....You've got a friend in me..."


Best Talent Show ever.....

No comments:

Post a Comment