Friday, January 14, 2011

Miracle Moment in Speech Therapy

It began as just an ordinary day at Schreiber Pediatric Rehab.  Chester and I were strolling down the hallway to meet one of our favorites, Melissa, for an hour of physical therapy. Strolling is the wrong word. I was trying to stroll, Chester would have RUN had I given him permission. I felt like the teacher saying to her students "Walk Please," when they were headed out to recess.   

Anyways, as we were moving forward to our destination, I heard a voice from one of the Speech Therapy Rooms. "Excuse me, you with the dog :), I know you're on your way to an appointment, but do you have a moment to stop in my room?"

I paused. Chester paused.  She stepped out of her doorway and into the hallway, continuing, "You see, in all my time working with this little girl, she has never been able to put words together to speak in a complete sentence. However, today, when you passed by she asked me, "Can I pet the dog?"

Ohmygoodness.

We immediately changed direction and entered the Speech Therapy Room. There sat a little girl with long brown hair and cute little glasses,  in a chair, next to a small table filled with toys, puzzles, books. A scruffy backpack was tucked close by the side of her chair.

When she saw the dog she erupted in smiles and giggles.  "I hear you'd like to pet Chester," I said.  She nodded and began to stroke his soft fur.

 The little girl spoke, "I have a dog at home!"

The therapist grinned and looked directly into my eyes. "Sentence number two," she mouthed.

I think my jaw dropped open.

This kind woman scooted in close to her patient and to Chester. "Can you tell me about your doggie at home?" she asked.

Without hesitating, little hands unzipped the backpack and reached inside.  Out came a well-loved stuffed puppy-dog. The little girl showed it to her therapist and to Chester, then proudly explained, "This is my doggie!"

Three fingers waved at me. "Number three," the woman whispered.

Tears welled in my eyes, I could not hold them back.

As the saying goes, The Journey is the Destination.  How true this is. And today, while on our journey down the hallway, we were blessed to be a part of a miracle. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment