Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Habit of the Week ~ Metacognition

Metacognition:  
The ability to think about your thoughts with the aim of improving learning.

What in the world?  Meta-what?  

Before pondering Chester stories to find that match-of-a-story to connect  this week's habit to the heart ... Well, first I had to visit Google, Mr. B's AACA Blog, and Mrs. Webster, (yes, she still has an honored place on my shelf), for meaning and understanding. Seriously, I had not a clue.

Here, are a few of my metacognition thoughts ~~ Metacognition is a million dollar word, that in my simple language simply means taking time to think about what I am thinking about. Being present in my brain, in the moment, not bouncing around in a kazillion directions &  being tugged by a bazillion distractions.  Truly, being purposeful to take to heart what I am thinking about.

And let me tell you ~~ When Chester is in the classroom, the students ARE
meta-cognitting :).  To the max.  It just happens.  It's one of the reasons we are in the classroom. METACOGNTION!  Who gnu?

Each week, when Chester and I walk through the classroom door, students instantly connect to their furry lovable buddy. When I tell Chester habit-of-the-week-stories, students are with me.  Whether talking about Chester's empathy, or Chester and his 5 senses.  Or Chester and humor. Chester and patience....or not. Chester and concentration. You get the picture. Students from 1st-5th grade, can tell you in d.e.T.A.I.L. each Chester story and how it relates to each habit.

I tested it out this week. The metacognition thing.  I was ahhh-mazed. The memory and connection and heartfelt responses from students in each classroom.

When Chester is in the room. He's just a kid magnet. And a brain magnet. A thought magnet. A learning magnet.

Metacognition!  Woof Woof!








No comments:

Post a Comment